Maven and Eclipse problem - looking for resources

I have a problem, that maven is looking for resources inside of Eclipse installation folder.

It is saying:

This file was not found: file:/C:/eclipse/eclipse/src/main/resources/config/spring/applicationContext.xml

While my workspace is in c:/Work/Core/ and inside src/main/resources.

Is there any configuration for pom.xml to order it to look relative from its position??

EDIT #1:

I am running Maven from Eclipse. From command line it compiles without problems.

I am trying to run Junit tests.

EDIT #2:

All dependencies, web.xml,... are OK - I know this because the same files other developer is using on Linux and with Idea and there the project is working without problems. With my project settings junit tests are not working, compiling wsdl files is not working - both because it can not find resources.

EDIT #3:

Found the answer - it is posted here down.


Got it... Finally.. I don't know why, but Eclipse just does not refresh its own settings from Mavens.

I had to change .classpath:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <classpathentry kind="src" output="target/classes" path="src/main/java"/>
    <classpathentry excluding="**" kind="src" output="target/classes" path="src/main/resources"/>
    <classpathentry kind="src" output="target/test-classes" path="src/test/java"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.maven.ide.eclipse.MAVEN2_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER">
            <attribute name="org.eclipse.jst.component.dependency" value="/WEB-INF/lib"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.web.container"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.module.container"/>
    <classpathentry kind="output" path="target/classes"/>

In the fourth line, there excluding="**" - I removed this, and it worked.

After this, I also had problems with name of the project. In pom.xml was


and in build tag <finalName>core-maven</finalName> which I wanted to change in just "core", but it did not work, until I found it and replace in files under .settings folder.


You have a problem somewhere with your configuration. Do some cleanup and start again.

  • Clean your workspace: delete the project and its files on the file system (make sure everything is under version control first of course), delete existing "Maven Build" Run Configurations.
  • Checkout your project somewhere on your file system (not in the workspace, this is a bad practice).
  • Import it in Eclipse (Import... > Maven Projects).
  • Run your tests with Maven.

P.S.: I'm assuming you are using m2eclipse but this is far from obvious, you should give clear information on your context.


I had similar problems a few weeks ago. I changed the classpath to get stuff to work but that is not really a fix, only a workaround, so I wasn't very happy about it.

After a while a colleague recommended SpringSource Tool Suite (sts)

It's a Eclipse based IDE by SpringSource, it has much better Maven support. Since I made the switch everything works great. And since it is based on Eclipse I didn't have to learn a whole new IDE and everything that works for Eclipse works for STS


Can we also see your web.xml? With spring, the applicationContext.xml location is defined in the web.xml with something like:


(EDIT: I know compiling with maven won't care about the web.xml... but running jUnit tests it could - depending on how the tests are set up.)

EDIT 2: Switching from a linux environment to a windows environment I could see problems with specifying where things live. Just because it runs under one environment doesn't mean there won't be problems when switching to another. What if your linux dev decided to tell spring the applicationContext.xml lives at /usr/local/myide/myproject/src...? Windows would just choke.


Can you paste what are you trying to do in the code or the relevant section of the pom.xml ?

Ideally any directory reference in pom.xml should be relative to the pom.xml file location.


In MATLAB I'm using a couple of java routines I've written to interface with a MyQSL database. One routine returns a boolean value result <1x1 java.lang.Boolean> >> result result = true ...

I need to fix my previous code. If the input is "aabbcdefgghijkllaa", the output needs to be "abcdefghijkla". My current code that I have changed outputs "alkjihgfedcba". (The input may not ...

I've a DB query using ORDERED BY and the corresponding result set is processed to a list of custom objects. The object class does not implement Comparable . It however overrides equals() and ...

I have created a JButton class that recieving Action, the JButton class includes keystrokes & mouse listener so i can use the same class in multiple frames as needed. My problems is that: JButton ...